The foundation stone of Victoria Hospital, the century old premier Medical Institutions of India was laid on 22nd June 1897 by her highness Kempananjammani avaru, the then maharani regent of Mysore to commemorate the completion of 60 years of reign of Queen Victoria. The Hospital was then formally inaugurated on 8th December 1900 by Lord Curzon the then Viceroy of India.
It started as a health centre with 140 bed strength which is now the second largest Hospital in India accommodating more than 1000 patients at a time. It is located in the hub of the city and is easily accessible.
This is a teaching hospital and is attached to Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, which is one of the premier Medical Colleges of India.